Welcome! This is ChasingTheFrill's craft blog. Here you'll find progress and finished photos, drawings and other art, food, and sometimes cats.

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

"Lace" Bow Pattern


I've decided to add pages. They've actually been up for about a week now, but the content is a little sparse. I know people like free patterns, because I certainly do, so here's another! Please do not claim the pattern as yours or post it somewhere else [unless you make major changes/rewrite parts, but at least mention that you got it from me first]. Also, please credit me if you use it. You're welcome to do whatever you want with the finished product [sell it, give it away, whatever]. If you take pictures and share it with me I'll feature it in a post [including your website if you'd like me to.]


"Lace" Bow Pattern
I used a 2.75 hook and crochet thread for the pictures that follow the pattern. I used a 1.4mm hook in the original, so you can get creative with hook size and yarn weight.

Chain 100 + 1
Row 1 - sc across, ch 1
Row 2 -  *dc, ch 2, skip 2 sts, dc in next st. Repeat from *. Ch 1 at the end.
Row 3 - sc across, ch 1
Row 4 - sc across, ch 1
Row 5 - sc across, ch 1
Row 6 - *dc, ch 2, skip 2 sts, dc in next st. Repeat from *. Ch 1 at the end.
Row 7 - sc across
This part is a little tricky to explain, but the pictures help as it has specifically where to make the stitches.
Row 8 - *5dc in same st, skip 1 st, slst, skip 1 st. Repeat from *


Supplies- crochet thread and hook.




Here's the original bow and hook used. Tighter stitches.



Comparison.


Chain 100! And 1 extra chain.


Single crochet across.


I actually messed up here and forgot to double crochet twice, so I had to unravel and re-do.


After double crochet, chain 2.


Then skip 2 stitches and double crochet in the next stitch.


See, fixed it! Single crochet across.


And 2 more times.


Repeat the whole double crochet twice / chain two stuff again.



Single crochet across one more time.


The scallop part is tricky, but you don't need to be exact for the ends. As long as you can fit three scallops in, you're good.



Since this part isn't on normal stitches, it's done differently and a bit easier too.


Slip stitch into the center of where the chains were.


Then 5 double crochets between where the other 2 double crochets were [does this make sense?]


Once you've got that done, finishing this row is pretty easy.



Normal stitch side. If you keep with the skip 1 stitch, slip stitch, 5 double crochet stuff, it'll be the same as the other side. But since the stitches are different, just be sure to get the scallops made over the second double crochet. Then stick to the pattern and it should turn out even.



Comparison again!



Tada!
Now, just fiddle around with it until you get the bow shape you like. You could cross the two ends and secure the center or fold it similar to how I have it*

Lay it flat. Fold each end inward in 1/3rd. Fold the ends down halfway at angles. Flip and it should look like the above picture. After pinching the center of course.

I hope you all like the pattern and that you'll use it and share!

2 comments:

  1. I love this! You are so fabulous and kind for sharing the pattern with such easy-to-follow instructions & photos, too! I also thought it was really awesome of you to give people permission to re-post your pattern and even sell the finished product as long as credit was given (which is obviously only the ethical thing to do, anyways). But that was really awesome of you! I actually can't begin to tell you how incredibly helpful this post was to me because I've literally spent DAYS on end scouring the web for a lace-y looking crochet pattern, especially one I can use that's easy to follow (without tons of super advanced crochet skills required) and one that I could crochet and use as a strip of lace (for combining with a couple other projects I have going where I really wanted to add some crochet lace-looking strips to the finished pieces). So, this was 100% perfect. Just the type of lace-look I've been searching for, and I happen to adore bows, so I just know I'll be using this in several projects! I figure I'll also use it as just a lace strip (not in bow-form, if that makes sense.) So thank you, thank you, thank you a million times! :)

    P.S. I do plan to take photos of mine when finished. I'll be playing around with different sized yarn and hooks though as I've yet to obtain any crochet thread throughout my time crochet-ing. Lol. Hopefully mine will look as beautiful as yours, and I'll be sure to send you a photo of it over when I get to it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow ! Thank you for the kind comment. I'm glad it could be helpful and I look forward to seeing your venture into lace-ish making!

      Delete